Front and Back Cover
Front and Back Cover
To pick out my pages for my book I had to lay out all the edited images and go through what images I felt were the strongest. The image above shows some of the chosen images that I have chosen.
Sophie Lecuyer has been an inspiration on her mono prints. Even so her work has much more detail within her images than mine but however I used the same tool withe cotton bud to create my ghostly look which my print. I wanted create a spooky/ dreadful appearance to the viewer.
Tom Waits is a song writer and the song called ‘what’s he’s building’ is a questionble song along with a mysterious music video that gives clues and theories to ‘what he’s building’. This reflects my work with telling the whole story and only selecting certain parts of the image in the story to make the reader confused and curious about what’s happening. I find while making a story that is focusing on mystery is the fact there is no beginning or no end and everyone always want answers when it comes to the unexplainable.
I spent the day thinking about what front cover would appear mysterious as well as the story. I started (image 1) using the photograph that was with the article as part as front cover and I used some fabric because fabric was found deep inside the woman’s mouth and I thought having that at that at the background fits well and photocopied it. I also had an idea where a summary would be next to the fabric image to tell the reader what the images are implying.
I then followed the front/ back cover idea with using the stencil I used for my posters and print it onto card. I think this has been the most successful part of creating the front/back cover. After creating these I thought after coming up with a successful print still use the first design (image one) as a wrap round so there would be two front/ back covers.
During this week I have thought about the pages in the book I spent today laying out my images to have a closer look at work images work and what doesn’t. I have experimented in many way for my pages in the book. I have done image and a written story that I have used an article and another with just image base narrative.
I decided to use a image base story just like the last book I made. I will be very selective with my images with my images as I want the reader to to feel confused about the story, as there is no beginning or end in the story where there is an answer to what happened to the woman.
I have also been experimenting with my front cover. I have especially focused on an image that I have found on the article shows a photographs of people that think who Bella is. However this speculation has made me play around with the image in a way to made the woman still unidentify her where the mystery will show in the front cover as well as inside.
I spent the day also thinking about designing large images for my final piece. I layered some ink onto some acid tape, removing the ink away to from the shape of the image to create. The image above shows my first attempt of doing that technique with bread and butter paper. My next step will follow on using two different type of black tones for example black with a hint of blue, green etc.